Sunday 20 May 2012

Grandma in waiting!!!

At 11:28am today I received a text from my daughter Charlotte. She was in the assessment unit of the maternity department of North Manchester General Hospital.

It is now nearly six hours later & I have rung the hospital; she is still in the assessment unit. I feel so useless! My mother's instinct is to be with her but I know this is a journey she & Stephen want to do together, totally understandable. But what is a Grandma in waiting to do???

I realise now what my poor mum was going through whilst I was having my two daughters! Mum, I wish I could phone you in heaven & ask you to be there with me to marvel at their birth! I wish I'd taken more time out from a busy life to visit you more (even though we did annoy each other rather a lot!)

Why is it so often too late when we learn a lesson? I'm now able to understand why my mum made the comments she did, & the number of times she must have bitten her tongue too!!! I'm finding it hard to do the same sometimes. My opinion is not needed on every little thing that my daughters now chose to do...boy, it must be one of the hardest things ever!

You care & protect your children for so long, to the best of your ability, then one day, when you are not prepared, you have to take a back seat. I wish they had covered this in parent craft classes! The rest I have managed to get through, but God I am struggling with this stage of development!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment